After a house fire in 1948, it was decided by a group of Southington Residents it was time for their own fire department and in 1949 that dream became a reality. The department started with just $20,000. The members decided to buy a fire truck and with the remaining money build the fire station, which still remains at the center of town today. The first fire truck was a 1949 Dodge John Bean High Pressure Pumper. Two men were chosen to lead the department, Fire Chief George Culp and Assistant Chief William Strock. Now with Culp and Strock at the helm of the department, they were able to form a great department with a strong group of volunteers. Since 1949, the department has continued to serve Southington Township and grow into what we have today with additions to the station and apparatus fleet. Currently, the department operates 1 – Attack Engine, 1 – Tanker, 1 – Brush Unit, 1 – Ambulance, and 1 – Pick-up Utility Truck with a roster of 21 members. The members are all volunteers with the exception of the Fire Chief and Assistant Chief.